Re: johnreed take 14 - 2005

<randamajor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1116882081.569676.183890@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What do we mean when we say spacetime is curved?

Simple - in flat space-time we can find a coordinate system such that ds^2 =
ct^2 - x^2 - y^2 - z^2 at each point. If not then not then it is curved.

> How do we conceptually
> grasp a curvature of spacetime? What do we mean when we say space is
> curved? How do we grasp a curvature of space?

By studying Riemanian geometry.

> Actually we don't.

So all the mathematicians since Riemann are fooling themselves?

Bill

> Instead we say, in such a space the motion of an
> object could be described in terms of the geometry of the space, rather
> than in terms of external forces.
>
> "The motion of an object" and "described in terms of the geometry of
> space". The motion of an object is one thing. The trajectory of an
> object is another. In any event, we are calling the space curved to
> describe the trajectory of the object and its motion. Kinda' like
> looking at a color photograph negative and trying to discern the
> picture.
>
> We are realy dealing with the trajectories of objects after all, and
> those trajectories are least action trajectories, so we have a least
> action, curved space, and spacetime.
>
> Newton's use of the least action property of stable systems was a
> little more crude. Einstein's use is attenuated to the max. I will
> continue with this theme later but for now,
>
> I say gravity does not exist. Mass operates within least action
> parameters. Mass does not follow the path of a least action space.
>
> johnreed

  • johnreed take 14 - 2005
    ... What do we mean when we say spacetime is curved? ... How do we grasp a curvature of space? ... "The motion of an object" and "described in terms of the geometry of ... those trajectories are least action trajectories, ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: johnreed take 14 - 2005
    ... How do we grasp a curvature of space? ... those trajectories are least action trajectories, ... action, curved space, and spacetime. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: How wrong is this analogy for the curvature of Spacetime?
    ... >> spacetime, and why it it pulls the object in one direction instead of ... > curved-space concept in some ways. ... > space curvature is based on spacetime. ... > invisible matter and energy. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: Nikola Tesla about Relativity
    ... >>> curvature any more that EM says charged particles cause electric ... It's possible for spacetime to be curved with flat spatial ... Einstein bragging about arriving at the field equations in a very short ... The field equations are extremely sensitive to what type of Lagrangian ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: Universal Metasymmetry
    ... >> spacetime how to curve and spacetime tells mass how to move. ... In the sense of spacetime curvature, ... general relativity, the field is actually a curvature field, i.e. the ... Riemann curvature tensor. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)