Re: Lienard-Wiechert potential

D.McAnally@i'm_a_gnu.uq.net.au (David McAnally) writes:

<snip>

>Panofsky and Phillips include a derivation of the EM field corresponding
>to the Lienard-Wiechert potential, which is therefore the EM field
>generated by the charge. The EM field is given by

>E = q/(4 \pi e_0) {(1/s^3) S (1-u^2/c^2) + (1/(c^2 s^3)) [R,[S,du/dt]]},

>B = [R,E]/(|R| c),

>where R and u are as before,

i.e. where R is such that the charge is a position r-R at time t-|R|/c,
and u is the velocity of the charge at that event.

>S = R - |R| u/c, s = |R| - u.R/c, du/dt is
>the acceleration of the charge when it is at r-R at time t-|R|/c, and for
>vectors v and w, [v,w] denotes the cross product of v and w.

This can be written in covariant form. The conventions will be adopted
that the metric in Minkowski space satisfies g_00 = 1, g_11 = g_22 = g_33
= - 1/c^2, and the antisymmetric tensor F_{uv} representing the
electromagnetic field is normalized so that its components are:

F_{01} = - F_{10} = - E_x,

F_{02} = - F_{20} = - E_y,

F_{03} = - F_{30} = - E_z,

F_{23} = - F_{32} = B_x,

F_{31} = - F_{13} = B_y,

F_{12} = - F_{21} = B_z.

It follows that

F^{01} = - F^{10} = c^2 E_x,

F^{02} = - F^{20} = c^2 E_y,

F^{03} = - F^{30} = c^2 E_z,

F^{23} = - F^{32} = c^4 B_x,

F^{31} = - F^{13} = c^4 B_y,

F^{12} = - F^{21} = c^4 B_z.

If, at a given event P, the past light cone of P does not intersect the
worldline of the charge, then the contribution to the EM field at P due
to the charge is

F_{uv} = 0.

For an event P for which the past light cone of P intersects the worldline
of the charge, let T be the displacement 4-vector of P relative to the
intersection of the past light cone and the worldline (so T.T = 0 and
T^0 > 0 - since the charge is travelling at less than the speed of light,
then T is unique). Let U be the 4-velocity of the charge at the
intersection between the past light cone and the worldline, and let W be
the 4-acceleration of the charge at the same event (so U.U = 1 and
U.W = 0). The contribution to the EM field at P due to the charge is

F^{uv} = q (U^u T^v - U^v T^u)/(4 \pi e_0 c (T.U)^3)

+ q (T.W) (T^u U^v - T^v U^u)/(4 \pi e_0 c (T.U)^3)

+ q (W^u T^v - W^v T^u)/(4 \pi e_0 c (T.U)^2).

-----

  • Re: Rindler Horizon
    ... it will never intersect that observer's worldline. ... Nor will an "event" in his past light cone ever intersect his world ... outside his past light cone (a trillion cherry bombs was his example) ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: 3+1 Split of Charge-Current 4-Vector
    ... is the source's worldline and e is its electrical charge. ... That's where the extra "scalar" is coming from. ... a vector field, technically, is defined as a linear ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: 3+1 Split of Charge-Current 4-Vector
    ... is the source's worldline and e is its electrical charge. ... That's where the extra "scalar" is coming from. ... a vector field, technically, is defined as a linear ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: 3+1 Split of Charge-Current 4-Vector
    ... I thought the current 4-vector was simply the charge density times the 4-velocity of the charge sources. ... Why do I need a scalar and a 4-vector to describe this? ... is the source's worldline and e is its electrical charge. ... a vector field, technically, is defined as a linear ...
    (sci.physics)