Re: The Flow of Time.

"Len Gaasenbeek" <gaasbeek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Ts-dnctK3JE506fZnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

| To Henri,
|
| You are missing my point.
|
| Len.

Hahahaha

\ _ /

Perhaps the bait wasn't attractive or out of season. Try red wine instead
of blindworms.
Fisherman Androcles.

| "Henri Wilson" <HW@..> wrote in message
| > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:01:31 -0400, "Len Gaasenbeek" <gaasbeek@xxxxxxxxxx>
| > wrote:
| >
| > >To Henri,
| > >
| > >"The concept of time of course is man's invention".
| > >Before mankind inhabited the earth there was no language, which means
| that
| > >the above quote could not be made.
| > >
| > >Similarly, until I coined the expression: 'Helical particle waves' the
| > >concept did not exist, that is to say, I invented it. Yet helical
| particle
| > >waves have existed in nature since the beginning of time, man simply
| wasn't
| > >aware of them.
| >
| > You discovered it.
| >
| > Did Mozart invent or discover his music?
| > Aftr all it is just a mathematical sequence of sound events.
| >
| > >The same can be said for most concepts in physics such as, the
| gravitational
| > >force, the electromagnetic spectrum etc. etc.
| > >
| > >Then there are many things with us now for which there was no name a few
| > >hundred years ago, such as television sets, cars and electronic
| computers,
| > >because man hadn't invented them yet. In other words, man created them,
| not
| > >nature.
| >
| > Did man create them or simply discover that they could be made to exist.
| >
| > Man didn't create the magnetic properties of iron...but he discovered all
| kinds
| > if ways to use it. An electromagnet is a discoverey not a creation.
| >
| > >However until the first man used the expression 'the flow of time', as
| far
| > >as mankind was concerned, the concept of time did not exist.
| >
| > It existed ...but man early man had no concept of it.
| >

| > >"The Hopi, an Indian tribe, have a language as sophisticated as ours, but
| no
| > >tenses for past, present and future. The division does not exist.
| > >What does this say about time?"
| > > Jeanette Winterson (1959- ) British author.
| > > Sexing the Cherry.
| >
| > Most animal language deals only with the present. Animals other than
| humans and
| > maybe a few dogs live entirely in the present. They have no concept of
| 'future'
| > and little memory of past events. This is purely an evolutionary matter.
| > Time and time flow still exist whether we understand them or not.
| >
| > >In summary, some concepts (such as time) were invented by man in the
| sense
| > >that one day he discovered a law of nature. Whereas other concepts were
| > >invented by man when he first created them, such as a television set.
| >
| > Again, I would class that as a discovery not a creation.
| > The big question is, "do we discover or create the future?"
| >
| > > The
| > >former always existed since they are part of mother nature; the latter
> [...]

  • Re: The Flow of Time.
    ... |>>>To Henri, ... |>> Did Mozart invent or discover his music? ... |>> Did man create them or simply discover that they could be made to exist. ... |>>>that one day he discovered a law of nature. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: Lisp is Sin
    ... I believe that inventors of non-obviousdevices should be rewarded with patents, that discoverers of extant phenomena should be fêted but not granted patents, and that patent offices should better mind the distinction. ... and constat that to invent is synonym of to discover and to discover is synonym of to invent. ... The best that can be said of many web dictionaries is that they may give someone a vague understanding of a word's meaning. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: When Did Mathmatics Come About
    ... then discover that, like any game with rules, you can do a lot more with ... but even more just grows out of other math. ... want to solve equations in radicals, and so you invent group theory and ... these are the cat's pajamas, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Just how does magic work?
    ... >> invent or discover it? ... Actually with mathematics it's a bit of each, ... > there must still be things that we've yet to discover ... the scientific mind that postulates 'Magions', ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Lisp is Sin
    ... > discover and to discover is synonym of to invent. ... attempt to formalize all mathematics in terms of a concept that is ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)