Re: Why does Capacitance decrease with "r" but F decreases with "r^2"?

guskz@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Wheter the capacitor's dielectric is space itself or another material,
why does Capacitance decrease with "r" but F decreases with "r^2"?

It would seem logical that if the attractive force between the charges
SUBSTANTIALLY decreases by r^2 then it doesn't seem logical that the
capacity to retain these charges(capacitance) in a capacitor decrease
only by r (even if space is the dielectric)?

F= kQq/r^2 (and capacitor's energy field: E = KQq/r^2) where as
Capacitance = Area/ (k * r)

<< These formulae are valid for any type of capacitor,
since the arguments we used to derive them do not
depend on any special property of parallel plate capacitors.
Where is the energy in a parallel plate capacitor actually
stored? Well, if we think about it, the only place it could be
stored is in the electric field generated between the plates.
This insight allows us to calculate the energy (or, rather,
the energy density) of an electric field.
Consider a vacuum-filled parallel plate capacitor ... >>
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node34.html

Sue...

  • Re: Relativistic Component Puzzle
    ... size, materials, and geometry of their construction determine ... Suppose we take a given parallel plate capacitor and measure its ... same in all inertial frames. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: Why does Capacitance decrease with "r" but F decreases with "r^2"?
    ... SUBSTANTIALLY decreases by r^2 then it doesn't seem logical that the ... capacity to retain these chargesin a capacitor decrease ... stored is in the electric field generated between the plates. ... Consider a vacuum-filled parallel plate capacitor ... ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: Why does Capacitance decrease with "r" but F decreases with "r^2"?
    ... It would seem logical that if the attractive force between the charges ... capacity to retain these chargesin a capacitor decrease ... stored is in the electric field generated between the plates. ... Consider a vacuum-filled parallel plate capacitor ... ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Relativistic Component Puzzle
    ... We learn early on in physics about the theory behind capacitors ... Suppose we take a given parallel plate capacitor and measure its ... component value while it is at rest in the laboratory frame, ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)