Re: Supspaces versus Projectors in QM foundations

From: Arnold Neumaier (Arnold.Neumaier_at_univie.ac.at)
Date: 12/03/04

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:49:08 +0000 (UTC)

Pierre Asselin wrote:
> seratend <ser_monmail@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
>>A projector is any *hermitian* operator P that satisfies the relation
>>P^2=P.
>>The hermitian condition is the one that fixes the phase.
>

> Ok, I'll bite. Do you have an example of a non-hermitian P
> such that P^2= P ? It would have to be non-normal as well,
> and possibly use infinite dimensionality in a tricky way.
> Finding one would be, like, work. Better to ask :-)

No, better work. You won't learn much without. Try to find a 2x2 example
by specifying one entry and solving the equation P^2=P for the remaining
ones. To save work, fix another entry by assuming that P is singular.

Arnold Neumaier

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Supspaces versus Projectors in QM foundations
    ... >> The hermitian condition is the one that fixes the phase. ... > Ok, I'll bite. ... Do you have an example of a non-hermitian P ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • Re: Supspaces versus Projectors in QM foundations
    ... > The hermitian condition is the one that fixes the phase. ... Ok, I'll bite. ... Do you have an example of a non-hermitian P ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • Re: Supspaces versus Projectors in QM foundations
    ... >> The hermitian condition is the one that fixes the phase. ... > Ok, I'll bite. ... Do you have an example of a non-hermitian P ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • Re: Backdoor.sdbot
    ... See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Clean KWBot Worm Entries. ... You can also clean this entry manually by going to Start, Run and entering MSCONFIG Go to the Startup tab and uncheck any entry that references the System32.exe file. ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ...
  • Re: email address updates contact in address book
    ... I have an entry in my address book for a company I email weekly. ... I think it's fixed thanks to info on the apple discussion boards ... I delete the Previous Recipient to break the association with the ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)