Re: Grav and Inertial Mass

frisbieinstein@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Uncle Al wrote:
> > frisbieinstein@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > Inertial mass of elementary particles may be measured very
> > > accurately but not the gravitational mass. Is there any reason they
> > > should be the same? Could it be that, say, electrons have zero
> > > gravitational mass?
> >
> > We know for a fact by direct observation that electrons exhibit no
> > gravitational vs. inertial mass anomaly, from Eotvos experiments
> > (umlaut over each "o"). The ratio of electrons to (neutrons +
> > protons) is different in select different elements and in isotopes.
> > Fermions vs. bosons is as good a question as leptons vs. baryons. All
> > chemical compositions fall identically to one part in ten trillion
> > difference/average. That includes differential gravitational binding
> > energies,
> >
> > http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/eotvos.htm#b22
>
> I looked at the reference but found it a bit of heavy going. It seems
> to me that what you could have two test masses made of different
> isotopes, measure the differential inertial mass, then test to see
> where the differential gravitational mass is the same via effect on a
> third mass.

Binary comparison, Eotvos balance, one shot, sensitive to one part in
ten trillion dfference/average.

http://www.npl.washington.edu/eotwash/m6_2.html

On one side you load high density polyethylene, (-CH2-)n. That gives
you 8 electrons/14 baryons, 0.571 number ratio. On the other side you
load bismuth. That gives you 83 electrons/209 baryons, 0.397 ratio
(and no noise from radioactive decay). HDPE has a density of 0.96
g/cm^3, Bi is 9.78 g/cm^3. You symmtrically surface drill and/or
hollow the bismuth masses to balance the Eotvos rotor for mass and
moments of inertia, further imbalancing the electron population on the
two opposing sides. Load them, button up the Eotvos balance, and let
it run. If electrons fall differently from baryons, you get a net
signal over time.

If you worry about relativistic effects in heavy elements and whatnot,
run (Li-6)(H-1) with 0.571 ratio against (Li-7)(H-2) with 0.444
ratio. Folks have a lot of experience handling lithium hydride given
H-bomb secondaries. The heavy lithium deuteride test mass must be
drilled or hollowed to balance rotor mass and moments of inertia, so
again the electron number discrepancy is amplified. Do you want to
null out nuclear binding energies/nucleon that vary wildy over those
isotopic species? Run two more experiments, each isotopic species
against HDPE (much too dense - carve it) or TPX
poly(4-methyl-1-pentene) with density 0.83 g/cm^3 (still too dense,
but close). Natural abundance LiH is 0.77 g/cm^3.

You can permute compositions to test protons, neutrons, nuclear
binding energies, nuclear spin, nuclear quadrupole moments, electron
spin vs. electron orbital angular momentum (magnets)... All this has
been done, and more. *All* chemical compositions fall identically.

a = GM/r^2
Where is the test mass?

Gravitation by whatever credible theory is a backgroundless geometry.
The proper challenge of spacetime geometry is then test mass
geometry. Chirality, only requiring a causal and orientable spacetime
manifold, arises from coordinate-free Hodge duality equivalent to a
pseudoscalar field (Levi-Civita tensor). Parity is chirality
simultaneously along all coordinate axes. One therefore proposes that
extremal opposite parity test masses of the *same* chemical
composition form an interesting Equivalence Principle test.

Classical physics says such an experiment will be exactly identical on
both sides for all measurable physical properties and will give a
perfect null output. Optical rotation and piezoelectricity do not
matter because the test masses are opaquely gold-plated and passively
mounted. Quartz is routinely fabricated to optical tolerences. A
reproducible net output would be an inarguable Equivalence Principle
parity violation.

Parity crystallographic space group P3(1)21 quartz and P3(2)21 quartz
calculate as being maximally theoretically parity divergent. We have
the added bonus of amorphous fused silica. The two hemiparity Eotvos
experiments' outputs - if any - should algebraically sum to that of
the full parity Eotvos experiment. Quartz is commercially
hydrothermally grown to extreme purity and perfection for frequency
stabilizing electronic devices.

98 days to completion of the full parity Eotvos experiment in quartz.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

.