Re: Tesla lighted 25 miles of lamps without wires

From: TKM (lightingnull_at_ieee.org)
Date: 09/15/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:16:36 GMT

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote in message
news:ci4jp811ae2@enews3.newsguy.com...
> Tesla did not have fluorescents, but he would have known about neon/argon
> lamps.
>
> Is there any evidence he actually lit them with RF energy?
>
> "Vlad" <Bla@dot.com> wrote in message
> > On my young days and when I was working around 50 KW antenna systems,
> > at night, I use to carry a fluorescent tube to illuminate my way
> > around the towers
> > This was 30 years ago and today I don't have cancer

Yes. Tesla was lighting "protofluorescent" lamps in 1891 for George
Westinghouse and there was a demonstration of Tesla's genius at the Chicago
World's Fair of 1893. In Jill Jonnes book, "Empires of Light" (Random
House, 2003) the World's Fair apparatus was described this way: "When the
current was turned on, the vacuum bulbs or tubes (arrayed about the room),
which had no wires connected to them ... were made luminous ... Shown by
Mr. Tesla in London about two years ago ... they produced so much wonder and
astonishment."

There's no mention of "25 miles of lamps without wires" in Jonnes' book
though.

Tesla had trouble raising funds for his large projects. He started building
a 187 foot high structure called the Wardenclyffe Tower in 1901. It was to
be a 10 million horsepower generator to produce radio waves and provide
electrical power. But the project was never finished or even tested. J.P.
Morgan, the financier, refused to fund it. The Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New
York got the land that the tower was on when Tesla went bankrupt in 1916 and
the tower was destroyed to make the land easier to sell. Tesla died
destitute in 1943 at age 86.

Terry McGowan

Relevant Pages