Re: How old are atoms?

From: Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com (sbharris_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: 03/25/05

Date: 24 Mar 2005 20:48:22 -0800

>>I know they can be smashed and crushed by humans and that some of
them
degrade from unstable to more stable isotopes and that the sun turns H
into
He but...

How long do atoms generally live?

Are some of the ones around now orignals created at the beginning or
have
they all been transformed by stars or some other routine process? <<

COMMENT:

I think you're trying to ask how old atoms are. That depends on the
atom. Nearly all atoms of deuterium are 13.5 billion years old, having
been made in the big bang and been around since then. Makes you admire
that bottle of heavy water. Probably a lot of light hydrogen atoms are
that old also, but it's hard to tell which ones.

Most of the heavier atoms are thought to have been formed in supernovas
which blew up in our region of space 5 to 10 billion years ago, and
scattered the dust cloud from which our solar system formed. So they're
round about that age. All older than 4.6 billion years (the age of our
solar system) but not as old as the big bang. From the patters of
elements, there were apparently at the very least, dozens of such stars
which contributed to our solar dust cloud. So the mix of ages of stable
atoms is quite wide. All we can say is that they're probably all
younger than our galaxy, but older than our solar system.

Some stable atoms are younger than our solar system and the earth
(which are about the same age-- 4.6 billion years). Probably most
helium from the ground is made of retired alpha particles from U and
Th, so it's younger than the Earth. Still millions to billions of years
old, though.

Most radioactive elements are also younger than the Earth, and are
products of decays have have happened since the Earth formed. Important
exceptions are uranium and thorium, which are extremely long-lived, and
date back to the supernovas previous referenced.

SBH

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Carbon source + oxygen = CO2
    ... developing solar system right? ... As far as I understand it, its not singular atoms that are floating ... history before you get to the time of our solar system. ... mixing going on in the nebular disk. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Four major flaws in growthist ideology
    ... If you think that means I have bought into some bogus theory, ... number of atoms on earth, how those atoms are arranged and ... There is no more or less total stuff on earth than there was ... fantastically richer than our forebears ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: Lossless Compression. Compress anything down to <1kb?
    ... Some of those atoms make up the composition of your computer, ... universe, specifically this planet, contains every computer file currently ... trades off in computational time prior to any compressor/decompressor usage. ... the number of atoms in the earth by first knowing what its mass is. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: Lossless Compression. Compress anything down to <1kb?
    ... there is a finite number of atoms in the entire universe. ...     Some of those atoms make up the composition of your computer, ... universe, specifically this planet, contains every computer file currently ... the number of atoms in the earth by first knowing what its mass is. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Are we all the same age ?
    ... If we respect the fact that atoms do not create themselves, ... aside for the moment creationist and big bang theories, ... The Earth has not changed mass ... Obviously our minds are distinct from our bodies. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)