Re: Are physics cranks employed?

<edprochak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1155917538.521974.95540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

| Sorcerer wrote:
| []
| > As far as teachers go (at High School level) in my experience
| > (with 20-20 hindsight) the majority are unthinking parrots guiding
| > the student through a curriculum, which is not tailored to each
| > individual. Practically, of course, it cannot be.
| >
| > I had an excellent math teacher and a piss-taking history teacher.
| > The other students thought the history teacher was funny, I considered
| > him a jerk. Matters were reversed when it came to the math
| > teacher, the other students were bored, three or four of us delighted.
| > Careers are decided on by the level of interest the teacher awakens
| > in the student, there are definitely good teachers and bad just as
| > there are good drivers and bad, good cooks and bad, and yes, good
| > engineers and bad.
| > Engineers, though, are team players, they have to be, and the bad
| > soon get weeded out. So are surgeons. Lives are endangered when
| > engineering is bad, the engineer takes on an awesome responsibility,
| > as does the surgeon.
| >
| > Those that can, do. Those that cannot, teach.
|
| This phrase has been used as a putdown for teachers for decades. It
| shows the bias of the speaker. It shows that you have never tried to
| teach. Molding minds, and instilling interest is a hell of a lot harder
| than molding steel and instilling artificial flavors.
|
| In engineering, you have nice repeatability. Once you solve a problem,
| the solution works, time after time. In teaching, once you prepare a
| lesson plan that works, you often find it fails on next years students.
| Each student is different. Each class is different.
|
| (Note: if you think you tried teaching because you taught a college
| level class, the you haven't faced the real issue. Try it in a public
| school, high school or grade school level and note the difference.)
|

| > My definition of a crank is someone that unthinkingly accepts
| > such garbage as the "Lorentz" cuckoo transformations without
| > examining thoroughly their derivation. PD is a crank.
| > Androcles
|
| meanwhile you unknowingly accept such garbage about teachers.
| Sorry if you happened to get more than your fair share of poor
| teachers, but you draw the wrong conclusion based on that sample data.

In engineering, once you prepare a design that works, you often find it
discarded on next year's model. Each plane or car is different.
Each year is different.

(Note: if you think you tried engineering because you tightened a screw
or changed a tyre, then you haven't faced the real issue. Try it in a
factory
or at a drawing board and note the difference.)

Meanwhile you unknowingly accept such garbage about Engineers.
Sorry if you happened to get more than your fair share of bad light bulbs,

.