Re: Chemical potential of photons

nure123@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi

i have been reading about the chemical potential for quite a few days
but the concept still eludes me. Specifically, I cannot understand as
to what they mean when they say that the chemical potential of of
photons emitted by a hot body like an electric heaters have zero
chemical potential and those emitted by bodies like an LED or a TV
screen have some. could somebody throw light on it.

Interesting question. The chemical potential refers to the amount of energy required to change the number, either by removing a particle or creating one. For photons, the number is not a conserved quantity.

Can you provide a reference to where you saw this statement, i.e. "they"?

--
Andrew Resnick, Ph.D.
Department of Physiology and Biophysics

  • Re: Post Clearly; Read Posts Carefully; Repsond to Them Intelligently
    ... "Most of it was the fault of the people reading my posts, but a small amount ... > responder hadn't read it completely. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: "The door dilated" moments
    ... What it's famous for is the amount of implicit exposition packed into that seven-letters of verb. ... I was reading WJW's _Ambassador of Progress_ a few minutes ago. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: ultimate players vs. pros
    ... anyone still reading this thread? ... on a scale of 1-10, with 1 representing the least amount of challenge ... Bursts of strength, e.g., Ali's knockout punch. ... Getting the right amount of backspin on a long ...
    (rec.sport.disc)
  • Re: BASH scripting question
    ... > I have a very simple task that eludes me. ... > I have been in the process of administrating a huge amount of data on a ... > So in a shell script I do: ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • BASH scripting question
    ... I have a very simple task that eludes me. ... I have been in the process of administrating a huge amount of data on a ... pre-existing file server. ...
    (alt.os.linux)