Re: Chemical potential of photons

nure123@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi

i have been reading about the chemical potential for quite a few days
but the concept still eludes me. Specifically, I cannot understand as
to what they mean when they say that the chemical potential of of
photons emitted by a hot body like an electric heaters have zero
chemical potential and those emitted by bodies like an LED or a TV
screen have some. could somebody throw light on it.

Interesting question. The chemical potential refers to the amount of energy required to change the number, either by removing a particle or creating one. For photons, the number is not a conserved quantity.

Can you provide a reference to where you saw this statement, i.e. "they"?

--
Andrew Resnick, Ph.D.
Department of Physiology and Biophysics