Re: How Dangerous is it to Handle Uranium Oxide Ore?

In article <fq71eo$nuu$1@xxxxxxxx>, "Al Lergy" <dd34e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"W. Watson" <wolf_tracks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a sample of Uranium ore about the size of a golf ball. What danger
am I in by handling it?

Is it processed or still a rock?

a fair amount. They give off gamma rays, Beta and Alpha partials.

meh. the half-life of the dominant isotopes is on the order of a
billion or so years, if i recall correctly. It's radioactive, barely. I
believe a box of table salt is more radioactive, although i could
possibly be wrong.

It's pitchblende, right? It's a frigging rock. Don't lick it, wash your
hands after playing with it, and you'll be fine. Putting it in a baggie
or a display box would consitute more-than-suffcient care.

..max

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

  • Re: How Dangerous is it to Handle Uranium Oxide Ore?
    ... Beta and Alpha partials. ... meh. ... It's a frigging rock. ... This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: How Dangerous is it to Handle Uranium Oxide Ore?
    ... Beta and Alpha partials. ... meh. ... It's a frigging rock. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: The eerie silence
    ... mourir, il faut la signature du medecin des hôpitaux, et il est en ... Aliens sending a string of purely random numbers? ... I once found an odd conical piece of rock. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Outlook Stationery
    ... What version of Outlook are you using? ... I think that each email account can have its own default signature. ... "Rock" wrote in message ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)