Re: electric field outside infinitely long cyclinder

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, tinesan@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Say we have an infinitely long cylinder of radius r and uniform
surface charge density s (say positive).

What is the electric field at a point who's perpendicular distance to
the axis of the cyclinder is R?

Considering a Gaussian cylinder of radius R and of length L coaxial to
the infinitely long cyclinder, we get:

Qenclosed = s*2pi*r*L

Area Gaussian surface = 2pi*R*L

Thus by Gauss' law:

EA = Q/epislon => E = Q/(A*epislon) = (s*r)/(epsilon*R)

Correct?

Looks fine. Note that this is an unusual version of this question; the usual version is for a linear charge density along the cylinder (or thin line of charge, thin wire, or whatever).

The question-asker might be a bit pedantic, and want you to specify that the above expression you found is only for R>r (and, of course, state what the field is for R<r).

--
Timo Nieminen - Home page: http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/nieminen/
E-prints: http://eprint.uq.edu.au/view/person/Nieminen,_Timo_A..html

  • Re: Stuck on a problem for two days
    ... produces an electric field E = K*, directed radially outward from the centre of the sphere. ... What is the volume charge density of the sphere? ... where one should express the divergence operator in spherical coordinates. ... Finally we divide by 4pi to get the volume charge density. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Modification of Maxwell 2nd Equation or Monopoles
    ... Point charge has electric field ... There are no magnetic monopoles ... A changing magnetic field produces an electric field ... there is a magnetic charge density rho_B and a magntic current density ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Why do permitivity and permiability appear in EM expressions?
    ... magnetic induction,) and H is the magnetic field intensity. ... same way epsilon does for an electric field in a dielectric. ... D is defined in terms of charge density: ... div D = rho. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • electromagnetic filed and waves project <-- help me please!!!
    ... you should plot the electrical field intensity in two dimension view ... the electric field at z=0. ... point charges, Q and line charge density, ρL are variable ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)