Re: Q: Burst Water Pipes

Matthew Lybanon wrote:
In article <nhtnm4pk5h6use5p6euamq1gtgf4ephi2g@xxxxxxx>,
Ben Newsam <ben.newsam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:34:17 -0600, Matthew Lybanon
<lybanon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2) Ice blocks the pipes, and the water pressure "upstream" increases to the point that it bursts the pipes.
This doesn't happen. If it did, you would have burst pipes every time
you turned a tap off. That being said, it is possible to burst the
mains pipes if you were to turbn a fire hydrant off suddenly. Water,
being uncompressible, cannot stop "just like that", and so goes
sideways instead.

Explanation #2 is the one the local utility company gave in the little publication it includes with bills. It was the first time I had seen that explanation, and of course they didn't give any kind of scientific details. It seemed like an odd explanation, but I'm not sure. Water expands when it freezes, but only by about 9%. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it might be enough to burst a pipe, especially if there is a weak place in the pipe.

Now think about the connectors that are required to make pipes be
long.

Not all pipes are made of iron.

/BAH

  • Re: Q: Burst Water Pipes
    ... you would have burst pipes every time ... Water, ... The water pressure upstream can't increase past the incoming ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Why hasnt my copper pipe burst after feezing?
    ... Try a longer piece of pipe, make a zig-zag out of a couple lengths and some elbows and I'll bet you'll find that it will burst somewhere along the length once the open end freezes solid. ... Perhaps it has to be physically prevented from expanding with a right angle piece at the top? ... (My cottage has exposed copper pipes and no heat, and I try to avoid draining them until necessary. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Why hasnt my copper pipe burst after feezing?
    ... I have had burst pipes, ... Just as an experiment I took 8" of 1/2" copper and capped one end. ... from expanding with a right angle piece at the top? ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Powerful Telescopes!
    ... In message, Lizz Holmans writes ... the news yesterday that the pipes in the celing of our living room ... We had much the same happen here some years ago, and it took us quite a lot of QVL jbex to replace the burst pipe and remolish the kitchen ceiling. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: Q: Burst Water Pipes
    ... you would have burst pipes every time ... Water, ... that explanation, and of course they didn't give any kind of scientific ...
    (sci.physics)