Re: Q: Burst Water Pipes

Matthew Lybanon wrote:
In article <nhtnm4pk5h6use5p6euamq1gtgf4ephi2g@xxxxxxx>,
Ben Newsam <ben.newsam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:34:17 -0600, Matthew Lybanon
<lybanon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2) Ice blocks the pipes, and the water pressure "upstream" increases to the point that it bursts the pipes.
This doesn't happen. If it did, you would have burst pipes every time
you turned a tap off. That being said, it is possible to burst the
mains pipes if you were to turbn a fire hydrant off suddenly. Water,
being uncompressible, cannot stop "just like that", and so goes
sideways instead.

Explanation #2 is the one the local utility company gave in the little publication it includes with bills. It was the first time I had seen that explanation, and of course they didn't give any kind of scientific details. It seemed like an odd explanation, but I'm not sure. Water expands when it freezes, but only by about 9%. That doesn't seem like a lot, but it might be enough to burst a pipe, especially if there is a weak place in the pipe.

Now think about the connectors that are required to make pipes be
long.

Not all pipes are made of iron.

/BAH
.