Re: Speed of gravity?

On Aug 8, 11:49 am, Uncle Al <Uncle...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Laurent wrote:

We know the Earth spins around the Sun held in orbit by the Sun's
gravitational pull, right? Now, if the Sun were to suddenly disappear,
would the Earth go loose instantaneously or would it take eight
minutes before flying off orbit?

There is no evidence that gravitation propagates at any speed other
than lightspeed.

--
Uncle Alhttp://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
 (Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/lajos.htm#a2

Al; to find your evidence, define instant

  • Re: Superman Returns - big spoiler and incredibly anal observations
    ... Escape velocity usually puts things into orbit and needs to be at an angle. ... In this case they were going straight up To get away from Earth's gravitational pull that way you'd have to pass the Lagrange point where Earth's gravitational pull is cancelled out by some other object ... So either Superman flew 1.6 million miles or dumped it on the moon or pushed the rock so hard that he threw it past the Lagrange point against the pull of gravity, it would have fallen back to earth. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)
  • Re: closer moon?
    ... Ever find out that both objects have a gravitational pull? ... If that were true I could drop an apple and it would orbit. ... "Falling and orbiting are the same thing. ... you are an idiot, your definitions do not match the ones normally used. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: The BBC report on Chinese orbital "slip".
    ... >> orbit to be affected by the Earth's gravitational pull." ... As your smiley indicates, even if true, it is misleading; ... slightly higher orbit. ... Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server ...
    (sci.space.policy)
  • Re: closer moon?
    ... Ever find out that both objects have a gravitational pull? ... gravitational field. ... If that were true I could drop an apple and it would orbit. ... situation occurs with meteors which are happily orbiting the Sun when the ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: closer moon?
    ... Ever find out that both objects have a gravitational pull? ... Falling and orbiting are the same thing. ... If that were true I could drop an apple and it would orbit. ... sheesh. ...
    (sci.physics)