Re: Satellite data back up impacts of global warming in Himalayan agricultural villages

On 4/28/11 10:27 AM, jimp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
In sci.physics Sam Wormley<swormley1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Watching Climate Change Through a Farmer's Eyes
Satellite data back up impacts of global warming in Himalayan
agricultural villages

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/04/watching-climate-change-through.html

"In the last few decades, farmers in the heavily-forested Darjeeling
Hills of the Himalayas in India and Nepal have noticed something
strange. Rivers and streams are drying up, crop yields are plummeting,
and trees have begun to flower long before spring arrives. The
experiences of these villagers match satellite data, according to a new
study, suggesting that local knowledge may help climate and biodiversity
researchers better track the devastating impacts of global warming in
specific areas.

"When studying the effects of climate change, "we have all these models,
but they're global models," says conservation biologist Kamaljit Bawa of
the University of Massachusetts, Boston. Global warming is not as simple
as a universal increase in temperature, and its effects can vary by
region. To predict how a certain area will be affected, "we have to
scale down," he says".

"The study, says Crate, is fantastic in that it shows how local
perceptions are consistent and can be verified scientifically. The
beauty, she says, is how local peoples' stories can help us understand
the diverse ways that climate change affects different parts of the earth".

All of this "data" is less than 20 years old and as you have repeatedly
said, climate is over a 30 year period and less than that is just weather,
which is always changing.

Climate observations show that the earth has been warming for a good
150 years now. And, you are correct climatologists use 30-year trend
lines. This data is consistent with other data sources that the
climate is changing globally and for many places, locally.

Jim, I'm glad you remembered that climatologist use 30-year trends.

.