Re: What a let down. . .

Stephen wrote:

> The problem is that that the "natural-born" requirement had a
> clearer purpose at the time the constitution was written than it
> does now. The US
> was a new country and the US style of government was relatively
> untested.
> They didn't want someone from another country coming in and
> purposely toppling the government

No. This is completely wrong.

1. The concern was never about someone from another country
"toppling the government". The concern has always been about what
today is termed a conflict of interest - is it desirable that the
foreign affairs of the country be conducted by someone who was at
one time loyal to another country?

2. The time of the adoption of the Constitution and a few
generations thereafter was the only time in US history when
naturalized citizens *were* elgible to be president. Article II,
Section 1. - "No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen
of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this
Constitution, shall be eligibleto the office of President..."
Alexander Hamilton, born in the West Indies, had presidential
ambitions.

The natural born requirement has greater relevance today than when
the Constitution was adopted.

Jim Davis

  • Re: Totalitarian America
    ... about how the government treats them. ... allegiance to the oil corporation and not to the ideals this country ... This bill is one of the most blatant attacks against the Constitution ... cop out of the responsibility we have in the actions we take. ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)
  • Re: OT:Letter to Southern Califonia newspaper that was not printed
    ... country music, for god's sake. ... The history books here in the UK cover it quite well. ... legal document is the US Constitution, ... government that was discarded in favor of the Constitution. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: How To Read the Consitution
    ... country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country," we ... What is the role of government? ... Though we have amended the Constitution, ... judging -- and being a judge. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Galilean transformation equations
    ... does not represent me in government. ... In our Constitution, people elect someone to represent them. ... � � Representation would imply some common beliefs about government. ... The inception of this country was not the election of 1800 when the ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: YOU MUST KNOW THIS MAN
    ... Constitution they do have the right to peaceably assemble, ... is firmly based on English law. ... hung for treason under English law. ... out of their country when you failed to learn from your own history. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)