Re: wow

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:37:50 -0600, OM wrote:

Chuck Stewart wrote:

deliberately downgraded by the ISP to where
not only binaries are almost inpossible to
carry but even text newsgroups get hashed,

...This is exactly what Netcom did years ago in an effort to "assist"
in the "fight" against their service being used for piracy. Within
three months they'd lost about 30% of their user base as a result of
the text-only groups being trashed.

"As it was then, so it is now" My rural ISP
pulled that one last year... only they were
extremely blunt in stating that the point
was to save money at the expense of their
captive customers.

OM

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

  • Re: Microsoft "Security" ????
    ... William R wrote:> I was repeating what other people had told me about newsgroups, I was> willing to form my own impressions and you have helped me with that, where> do you see anywhere in what you have reproduced that I am accusing people of> being children, I will copy your copy to illustrate this> ... > Are not a lot of newsgroups filled with silly kids picking a fight and> hurling abuse, I have came on here because I was under the impression I> could get help from adults not someone who would accuse me of holding my ... > Is there a reason you chose not to put this information on this posting? ... In fact>>I'm starting to wonder how long it will be before you start holding your>>breath and stomping your feet to get everyone to see it your way.,>> ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Disguised URLs
    ... Mike Easter wrote: ... I have not been aware that Microsft groups disallow binaries. ... When I subscribed to www.aumha.net - at the personal invitation ... have taken on board your comments about the newsgroups. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: how big will my pleco get? - mypleco.jpg (1/1)
    ... In addition, there are certain people who pay for each kb of bandwidth - 126kb here and there is not a big deal, but if everyone does it ... ... If every newsgroups had binaries on them, the size needed would go way up, causing ISPs to try to save money by dropping newsgroups. ... For this reason, the general policy is "No binaries on non-binary newsgroups" - you can tell which newsgroups are binary, because they have "binaries" in the name. ...
    (rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc)
  • Re: why do some ppl hate google groups
    ... everyone though) people hate when other people post messages using ... Usenet newsgroups have been around since 1979, ... Dejanews only started archiving in 1996, and google only ... That you used a newsreader to retrieve binaries is telling. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Army manuals - tech manuals.bmp (0/1)
    ... It is exactly things like this which is why most newsgroups (all ... without "binaries" in their names forbid posting of binaries. ... BMP is one of the least efficient image formats because it ... because of the lossy compression which does wierd things to fine lines ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)