Re: Small interstellar payloads

The question that should be asked is the weight of seed, and seed
replication rate.
What "replication rate"? How about near zero until it gets to wherever
it's going?

If sequestered within a protective sub-frozen saltwater ball of ice, as
such nothing much of replication is going on. Of course that saltwater
ball of ice is going to add considerable mass which should have a
negative impact on the average velocity while otherwise nicely
protecting whatever's DNA from the cosmic radiation. Once past the
given nullification point of no return, as this is where that extra
payload of ice isn't going to make all that much difference on the long
haul, it'll just take longer to get up to good speed, and obviously
it'll take longer for slowing down unless the proto-moon method of
impacting it's now home-world is the chosen method of deceleration.

Here's a couple of links sharing in how slight of mass the code or true
seed of life as we know it actually represents.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/May05/DNAcount.ws.html
"With a refined technique, they have detected a single DNA molecule,
weighing in at 995,000 Daltons -- a shade more than 1 attogram"

1 attogram = 1e-18 gram, suggesting that typically vacuum dried diatom
skeletal remains are individually at roughly an impressive 100,000 <
500,000 times heavier.

DNA mass/Daltons: Double Stranded DNA/RNA
DNA/dalton atomic mass: DNA extractable from fingerprints
http://www.upi.com/inc/view.php?StoryID=20030730-040600-4102r
"Although 10 "nanograms" might not sound like much, for DNA analysis,
even 0.1 nanogram is enough"

Obviously at 1 attogram (1e-18 g), the individual DNA/RNA string of
whatever's code worthy is getting about as close to being nearly
quantum string like, as near to being photon mass hauling worthy as it
gets. What say a viable DNA/RNA strand of code gets down to a
zeptogram (1e-21 g), as then we're talking of nearly atom to atom
alignments and spinning associations of which a laser beam of photons
have been accepted as accomplishing such atomic alignments, as per
having created viable conduits of spinning atoms that may due quite
nicely as the ultimate tool of what's encoding atoms into becoming DNA.

For going extremely fast, say headed towards the impressive gravity
pull of the Sirius star system; how is the notion of having to
accommodate one autogram for a given seed of sufficient DNA?

BTW; I too think that we should go as far back-in-time as possible,
primarily to discover where the hell it is that we so badly fell off
the evolutionary tracks, and perhaps as much as possible restart the
process of life over.
-
Brad Guth

.