Re: Shuttle indefinitely grounded

"TNSAF" <NotMyAddress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
pUVFe.58056$%K2.10832@pd7tw1no:">news:pUVFe.58056$%K2.10832@pd7tw1no:

> Do they form this foam over the tank or is it made first and attached?
> Sounds to me like they need a reinforcing fiber in the foam to act
> like rebar does in concrete. As we know concrete can crack yet retain
> all its strength.

The foam is sprayed onto the tank surfaces; apparently it doesn't adhere
well to some surfaces. A while back the 'blowing' agent was changed
to something 'non-polluting' which reportedly resulted in more brittle
foam. Fibers might help (glass fibers are used to reinforce concrete too)
as might a slightly rougher surface for the stuff to bond to.

The fix will need to be a simple as possible, or it will add new
complexities and problems.

I think the Delta IV CBC uses the same foam and might make a good
test bed for changes. The Heavy configuration could roughly
approximate the Shuttle stack.

--Damon

  • Re: Shuttle indefinitely grounded
    ... Sounds to me like they need a reinforcing fiber in the foam to act like rebar does in concrete. ... The foam is sprayed onto the tank surfaces; ... Fibers might help as might a slightly rougher surface for the stuff to bond to. ...
    (sci.space.shuttle)
  • RTF is screwed latest foam tests........
    ... Tank foam lost during shuttle wind tunnel test ... place, featured long, sloping ramps to smooth the flow of air. ...
    (sci.space.shuttle)
  • Re: Shuttle Rocket Booster Foam
    ... >> The foam on the external tank performs three functions: ... >> 1) Protect the ET from aerodynamic heating during ascent. ... > A small subset of the larger group called insulation on the Tank. ...
    (sci.space.shuttle)
  • Re: Borrowed time?
    ... >>> First post here and I'm curious... ... >>Because, two and a half years ago, such a piece of foam killed the ... > Now there's a new lighter system that only inerts the center tank. ... >>ten thousand flights. ...
    (sci.space.shuttle)
  • NASA Identifies Foam Flaw That Killed Astronauts
    ... NASA Identifies Foam Flaw That Killed Astronauts ... Columbia Accident Investigation Board, left the matter open, since ... none of the foam or the fuel tank could be recovered for study. ...
    (sci.space.shuttle)