Stationary means

I don't think that this is a FAQ, but if it is I apologize for the
noise...

Discussions about "regression to the mean" tend to focus on fallacies
relating to heights, grades, sickness, etc. Something I have not seen
discussed is when/whether it is appropriate to assume a stationary mean
(or, I think alternatively, a fixed distribution)?

Assuming a constant distribution and repeated sampling, I can
intuitively understand regression to the mean. However, I can imagine
situations where the distribution is changing over time. For example
(and here I'm talking outside of my area of expertise) the mean height
in North America is increasing over time (ostensibly due to dietary and
health factors). If this is the case, then what would "regression to
the mean" mean? Towards which mean would the regression take place?
How would an observer know that a regression analysis is appropriate?

Any thoughts (or pointers to resources) on the issues would be
gratefully appreciated.

Jason

  • Re: Rich Ulrich continues his statistical Muddle, Quackery, and MALPRACTICE
    ... A discrete uniform distribution of ranks. ... >> the distribution of the X used in any multiple regression. ... >> RU> Normality is only one sort ... decided to do a fitting of a particular Y on several X that had already ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: Linux 2.6.16.30-pre1
    ... the goal of -stable as I remember it is not "no regression" ... i.e. patches don't go in without a good ... Whether a distribution uses 2.6.16 or a more recent kernel (that will ... on the goals of the distribution. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Rich Ulrich continues his statistical Muddle, Quackery, and MALPRACTICE
    ... >>> muddle about the standard regression assumptions, ... A discrete uniform distribution of ranks. ... why was sehwail and Richard Ulrich want to check the "normality" ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • [Full-disclosure] [SECURITY] [DSA-2154-2] exim4 regression fix
    ... Vulnerability: privilege escalation / regression ... Debian bug: 611572 ... This update fixes this problem. ... For the testing distribution and the unstable distribution ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: statistics::linear-model question
    ... (extrapolation), the regression line give you an estimate of Y. I know ... reasonable to experiment with a least-square regression as already ... Very mild assumptions on the distribution of ... sure the new Y will be in *this* range" that those bound intervals ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)