Re: Find Life Table (actuarial method) estimate with R or S-Plus

From: Robert Dodier (robert_dodier_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/30/04

    Date: 29 Oct 2004 19:15:12 -0700

    ddewdelket@yahoo.com.tw (demography) wrote:

    > How do I find Life Table (actuarial method) estimation with R or S-Plus?
    > (nonparametric estimation of the survival function)
    > What command or function should I use?

    I think the survival package of R is what you want.

    Go to http://cran.r-project.org/, follow the link to
    "contributed packages", and find "survival" (that's the
    whole name) on the list.

    There is a technical paper, survival.ps.gz, packaged
    with the R scripts. I found it quite helpful.

    The survival package was originally written by Terry Therneau.
    It is the basis of the survival functionality in S-Plus as well.
    I believe S-Plus has the functions built-in (no need to
    download a package).

    Robert Dodier