Re: [Q] Can a good random bit sequence generator be a good random number sequence generator?

<sjtu.0992@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for the comments or any references (books or papers)
regarding the subject title.

Thanks,

Albert
You have to look at the issue from a computer and programming view point.

If the bit sequence file from the generator say passes Diehard 3, then we
can assume that it has acceptable random bit sequences. There are several of
the Diehard tests that stress this characteristic. You can go to more severe
testing using L'Ecuyer's tests to assure this characteristic.

I have no idea if the mersine twister will pass L'Ecuyer's tests. It is
really is an old generator.

If 32 bit sequential segments of the sequence are cut out and taken as an
unsigned long integer, then we have a good random number sequence, between
2^32 and 0. If we convert to a signed long integer, the numbers are now
positive and negative, and the limits of the numbers as a uniform
distribution are 2^31 to -2^31-1. We still have a uniform distribution.

If however 64 bit sequences are taken and taken as a double precision
floating point number, then we have totally lost the two critical aspects, a
uniform distribution between a lower and upper limit and a random
characteristic of the number in a decimal sense. A double precision floating
point number really has 65 bits, where the extra bit is a hidden bit,
assigned a value of 1, and the 52 bit mantissa shifted left to assure that
the hidden bit is one.

David Heiser

  • Re: Cantorian pseudomathematics
    ... >> And there's no particular question about what countable additivity ... >> sequence of pairwise disjoint events, ... The fact that each P_n is a uniform distribution is not relevant to ... assertion to another in the background, unnoticed, and uncared for? ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Real-Life Random-Number Generator
    ... > another basically random sequence with uniform distribution of the ... > sequence with unknown distribution and outputting a basically random ... last 2 or 3 digits of the e-count is random. ... Thus aliens in outer space, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Real-Life Random-Number Generator
    ... > another basically random sequence with uniform distribution of the ... > sequence with unknown distribution and outputting a basically random ... Truck/SUV was second, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Pitman numerology
    ... residue in the sequence. ... If the targets were uniformly distributed and scarce, ... We don't observe evolution when the targets are scarce, ... Run conventional statistical tests for uniform distribution on them.) ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Pitman numerology
    ... It would require an inserition or substitution of a large sequence. ... Given a repeating DNA pattern, a frame shift mutation can indeed ... Run conventional statistical tests for uniform distribution on them.) ...
    (talk.origins)