why is probability and statistics a hard subject?

I am taking a course in probability and statistics now. It is at the level
of upper division / first year graduate.

This is the hardest course I have ever taken so far, Yet, I am not sure why
it is hard.

Looking at the math on its own, it is hard, but manageable, upper level
calculus I would say. But for some reason, I find the whole subject hard to
do well at.

May be it requires more experience? more insight? more problem solving
practice? I do not think it is the math skills which is the problem, I think
there is something inherently hard about solving problems in probability and
statistics, which is hard for me to pint point.

I was wondering if others have felt the same way about this subject. And if
you have, did it become easy for you later on? and how did this happen?

Nasser

  • Re: why is probability and statistics a hard subject?
    ... of upper division / first year graduate. ... This is the hardest course I have ever taken so far, Yet, I am not sure why ... "statistics" is taught in diverse ways ... statistician who lives in a social sciences environment or medical ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: Liskov Substitution Principle and Abstract Factories
    ... If I tell you god is sitting behind a door, ... As Littlewood noted probability introduces vicious circle. ... >> The whole of statistics is dubious in some sense, ... > are guessing. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Liskov Substitution Principle and Abstract Factories
    ... I would assume that temperature is some sort of absolutely defined sum of ... >> but it still submits to probability. ... You can use statistics to judge people, ... good mathematician = mathematician who passed BSc in maths with a first. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Liskov Substitution Principle and Abstract Factories
    ... Statistics is just a way to do something you know to be ... The probability is not 0. ... for almost any purpose. ... ClientAdd have to be a member of Real. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: why is probability and statistics a hard subject?
    ... I learned so-called classical statistics as an undergraduate engineer. ... It is from these that I fully came to appreciate that the _entire_ inferential import of any experiment, given any proposed model, is wholly contained within the likelihood function. ... The Bayesians cut through the Gordian knot by, in effect, elevating the likelihood function to the status of a probability density function. ... I realized that probabilities could be fuzzy: I considered the thought-experiment: If a friend fabricated an entirely new thumb-tack, never before seen or used anywhere, with an entirely new geometry. ...
    (sci.stat.math)