Re: Inverted fluo for cell culture: Olympus, Zeiss or China ?

"David" <sipka1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> GTO wrote:
>> 15k$ for an inverted fluorescence microscope isn't enough when you intent
>> to buy new with a decent imaging device.
>
> Luckily, I got hold of the Spot RT 2.2.2 camera which with (albeit older
> version) Image Pro SW should be good enough for some time. So I can devote
> the whole budget on the scope, as I answered Kevin, e.g. the Axiovert 40
> fits in.
>
> I am surprised that
>> Nikon asked for more than Olympus for a comparable system. I found Nikon
>> to be cheaper in the US.
>
> I probably should compare apple to apple. Would you agree that the frame
> of Axiovert 40, Oly IX41 and Nikon 100 are in the same category ? Then the
> Oly IX51 is a step higher, so I should not be surprised that the whole
> setup costs more. Are the fluorite (probably semi-apo) objectives
> comparable between companies or does one has an edge ?
>
> David

David, Wow, great questions! The Olympus 51 is a purely electronic 'scope.
The 41 is a mechanical 'scope. If you want to do things like confocal you
need the 51, it just works better. The same goes for Nikon. In the future
there will be no mechanical 'scopes, everything will be electronic, prices
for electronics are getting cheaper.

The Zeiss DIC is a version of DIC not related to Nomarski which has problems
with plastic. From what I've heard its closer to Hoffman Modulation.
Remember that DIC was around before Dr. Hoffman, he just invented a great
version. Remember Francone-Yamamoto DIC?

Everyones objectives are very close. The Zeiss objectives that stand out
are the Plan Flourites, there just great. Their Plan Achromats are OK but I
don't get worked up about them. The big advantage of the Zeiss Flourites is
they adapt to water immersion which offers some advantages depending on what
you are working with.

Whether you do business with a dealer or direct depends on were you are
located. Invariably you will have one dealer for each product though if you
have any dealers.

Kevin Cunningham
SMS

  • Re: Nikon, Leica, or Zeiss?
    ... Axiostar (the Axiostar and Axiostar Plus are 99.9% the same scope!); ... Similar used parts for older Zeiss models sell ... objective with out the condenser. ... I chose Olympus WHK10x 20L high eye point eyepieces rather than Zeiss ...
    (sci.techniques.microscopy)
  • Re: Nikon, Leica, or Zeiss?
    ... of supply of microscopes since Zeiss left them flapping in the breeze ... I suspect that the Olympus dealers will be living this in the future ... Zeiss and AO had put a scope in nearly every spot ...
    (sci.techniques.microscopy)
  • Re: Nikon, Leica, or Zeiss?
    ... accessories, that I've acquired on ebay (I'm not a big lover of ebay, ... Axiostar (the Axiostar and Axiostar Plus are 99.9% the same scope!); ... Similar used parts for older Zeiss models sell ...
    (sci.techniques.microscopy)
  • Re: OT: scope recommendations?
    ... electronics, and has need for a basic scope. ... film for a living and is designing ... Slow it right down and software to convert to real time colour correction ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Microscope
    ... > I want tu buy a microscope only for didattic use, ... You are asking about a reflected light or EPI scope. ... Look for Zeiss EPI Plan, Vickers and Richart for scope for that ...
    (sci.techniques.microscopy)